Monday, December 30, 2013

Merry Christmas

Friday and Saturday my family and I traveled home to visit the "rest of the family".  On our way home we were passing through a town ( I wish I could remember which one) and I noticed their town hall sign said Merry Christmas.   This shocked me.

I was thinking wow, the town actually put that on their sign.  With all the push of the ACLU and other "non-religious" organizations to remove any mention of Christ during the Christmas season I was shocked to see this.
Then it hit me.  We have been so deseneitized as a society that we have come to expect the removal of Christianity from our society.  This is what has happened to us.  We have been inundated in so many different ways..

Now there is an expectation about what should happen.  It has almost become natural.  What I learned is that is how it works.  Not just one instance but over and over again.  Newspaper articles, tv ads, stores, and many other areas.

In foreign countries we call it propaganda.  Websters reminds us:

pro·pa·gan·da

\ˌprä-pə-ˈgan-də, ˌprō-\ : ideas or statements that are often false or exaggerated and that are spread in order to help a cause, a political leader, a government, etc.

I am not trying to be a conspiracy fear monger.  I am not even sure if there is a big planned agenda. I just know that when something is popular people get on the band wagon not thinking about the future consequences. 

What happens is one day we wake up and our Christian surroundings is no longer there.

My goal has been to make sure I remind myself and my family about what Christian values really are.  If we are not teaching then who is? and what do they believe?



No comments:

Post a Comment